AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Replacement Heifer questions.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

nkline
Posted 11/22/2017 12:56 (#6381691 - in reply to #6381389)
Subject: RE: Replacement Heifer questions.

West Central Iowa
littlejo - 11/22/2017 09:42

nkline - 11/21/2017 20:35

It's too late. Sorry, mammary glands develop fairly early. However if you are bent on keeping them. Put them on a ration without any grain unless it's ensiled, (it changes how it feeds on a molecular level). I would feed around 40% ryelage, 40% hay, 20% stalks ground fine(this ration is as feed basis). That would be my starting point for a ration, probably mix in some water so they don't sort it, and keep them a little hungry, make sure your bunk is clean every morning. Feed mineral and salt on the side. That's what I would do in your situation.

Interesting. Old timers would talk about 'milk skipping a generation'----later explanation/understanding was you got a cow that milks really good, you keep her shiny heifer calf, that calf grows into a cow that raises mediocre heifers---but you keep some of them and they make great mothers.

The idea was that first generation ate too good and deposited fat into her udder. Then she didn't overfeed her offspring and they developed more optimally.

Hmmm..............seems like there oughta be some dairy guys on here who develop heifers who maybe have lots of insight?

This is also one of the things that has EPDs messed up bulls that sire easy fleshing heifers often get slammed on the milk epd. When if raised correctly many of the easy fleshing heifers would make the best cows in the herd. Just something to think about....
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)