AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

End of the grazing season
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 11/21/2017 21:38 (#6380706 - in reply to #6380453)
Subject: RE: End of the grazing season

Driftless SW Wisconsin

puff33m - 11/21/2017 19:58 That was some good grazing this year. Jim can you stockpile any cool season grass like the fescue boys do?

Fescue doesn't grow around here like it does in MO.  Most other grasses are not grazeable over the winter when they are under a foot or two of heavy wet, often crusted with ice, snow.

I have very limited acres and have found, as in the western Canadian prairies, that grazing corn is the best winter "stockpile", producing more winter-accessible feed per acre than anything else I've found.  We don't have 6-8 ft tall Bluestem here!  I can't let acres sit all year to get that tall. I graze everything I can in at 10" out at 4" or do some unconventional things to get multiple passes and higher total annual tonnage of good feed from my limited acres.

This works in January in the north -

Works even better with the conventional silage-type corn seed I'm using in recent years rather than the triple stack the steer is eating in this older picture. More of the plant is more palatable.

Edited by Jim 11/21/2017 21:48

(IMG118 steer grazing standing corn in snow.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG118 steer grazing standing corn in snow.JPG (95KB - 54 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)