AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

End of the grazing season
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 11/21/2017 21:19 (#6380657 - in reply to #6379787)
Subject: RE: End of the grazing season

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Turnips and radishes are gone and strip closed off with a hot wire until the winter rye in the mix is ready to graze in April. I think the mix has done its job so far! Radishes got too big for cows to pull out so they chomp them off at ground level, leaving a lot of radish root to decay over the winter and aerate this formerly compacted strip.

I can't wait to see the Fleck calves either!  In my system I don't sell calves so I don't care what color the hide is. I'm looking for quick, heavy growth on grass and a good tasting, especially tender end product beef. 

Flecks are supposed to mature earlier and heavier than most other breeds while retaining great beef quality. Also they are mostly docile. My Fleck bull defers to me. 

My plan was this is a terminal cross only as I want the F1 heterosis. I process my calves at 13-14 months of age. I want them to hit 1100+ lb and marble nicely, on mostly just good hay and maybe some grazing corn, at that age. I may keep a couple of the Fleckvieh/Hereford heifers as an experiment. It might be interesting to breed the Fleck/Hereford heifers to a Red Angus bull if I can find one with a good disposition that I can afford. But that may be down the road a ways.

I want to keep a herd of "pure" Hereford cows so will always have a good registered Hereford bull on heifers as my replacement cow factory.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)