AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Feedlot Ration Help
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

J.Rabbit
Posted 11/19/2017 14:15 (#6375559)
Subject: Feedlot Ration Help

Well after feeding cattle out of upright silos with a wheelbarrow and five gallon buckets since Grandpa built the silos in the 1950's I've finally found a nice mixer wagon, with a scale!!!!, so I'll be changing the way I feed cattle. A little background, STO 50 head calf to finish, I wean on long stemmed grass hay, ground corn and a 32% all natural protein pellet. I work them up to 1 lb of ground corn /100 lbs of body weight, switch them over to a 44-22 pellet with rumensin at 1 to 1.25 pounds per head per day depending if I'm feeding grass hay or alfalfa hay. In the past I fed the hay in bale rings and the silage and ground feed in the bunk, I varied the amount of silage depending upon how long it took the calves to eat the bale feeder empty, kind of a bass-ackwards way of doing things but it has worked for me all my life. So my question is whats a good rule of thumb on how much ground hay, either grass or alfalfa, and how much corn silage to feed per head per day, or what would be a good ratio. I'll be grinding both brome grass and alflafa hay so can feed either one or a combination of the two. Also is the grain and protein pellet at my feeding rates adequate for a growing ration? It has been nearly 30 years since I've worked up cattle rations in animal nutrition class so my memory is a little foggy, I've also been playing around with the U of Minn cattle ration software but its taking me a little bit to figure that one out, is there a better ration software then this one?

Edited by J.Rabbit 11/19/2017 14:17
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)