AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hanging 16ft cattle gate.. (?)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

garvo
Posted 11/18/2017 19:31 (#6373984 - in reply to #6373900)
Subject: RE: Hanging 16ft cattle gate.. (?)

western iowa,by Denison
will Dad might be right-but my 30 plus years of hanging Sioux gates disappeared when I had Adam start making gates and 1 day we had a brain fart and started making a simple hinge that we have crossbred into some Sioux gates for lite use
at one time I had over 50 Sioux gates-gates despise me-Adam hate's making gates and he is a artist at it.

You have to perfectly align and measure-all else fails twist your hinge and get it rite and then drill 3/8 hole and bolt up that annoying comical clamp hinge good and proper.
If I was ever a ag teacher-teaching and hog,cattle school(shop)-first thing I would teach is how to build a good gate-second thing I would teach is how to hang them-In my old days My hired man hang gates with me -my test was on a 16ft Sioux gate if I could swing on the end and be 10 inchs off the ground in 180 degrees he was good to go to the next job-I weighed 290# then
Hangem high and straight-if not do them again
only thing worse then a bent gate is one that drags on the ground-then after many years you start realizing gates that are made rite are worth thee weight in gold!

Hangem -high and strait-or go home!
Best get Adam's hinge and be over it!--available anywhere there's a welding shop

Edited by garvo 11/18/2017 19:34
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)