AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hunters and my blood pressure,............
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 11/14/2017 04:01 (#6363768 - in reply to #6363543)
Subject: Thank you JP44MSU,.........

Thanks for your comments Josh. Yes I do realize it is the 1-10 percenters that give everybody a bad name. Just like in agriculture industry, a few ruin it for others that try and do things right. Really for the most part we don't get a lot of vandalization on private and public lands for the amount of acres I deal with. I do have hunters that we have handshake deals, good friends of the family that we let kind of take charge of the hunting on our private lands in Utah. I can't be there to police it and watch over it all the time. So these guys trade labor for hunting. The deal is they have to fix fence, and other odd jobs. They also help my father out when I can't be there all the time to help with little repairs.

These guys have total access to our lands, shop, tools, UTV's there. They respect it, because they realize what premium hunting ground is worth. However in the past I had a few problems with them not fixing fence right. Which caused me to drive a full day to repair and get cows in. They had gotten lazy, and felt it was ok to do sub par work. I explained I wasn't working 7 days a week for them to just to have a private hunting area. That they had to contribute their labor in order for me to stay in business. Otherwise I would just turn it over to a hunting outfitter, and pay someone to fix fence. That drove the point home to them.

I detest these big high dollar guided hunts, I still feel it should be affordable for people to hunt. So my father and I had decided to take the route of trading labor for hunting. Some guys trade me their services in town, I had one equipment dealer gives us great deals on equipment, parts, one plumbing store salesman give me free parts or projects, they all paid in some way or another. We in turn appreciate their help. We also have asked this group of hunters to help in getting disabled kids onto our place and using our UTV to hunt deer depredation in our hay fields on the farm. They work in conjunction with F & G to do this. This means more to my father than any money we get off of hunting, as he is disabled himself.

We let very little family on the place to hunt, because they just felt it was a right and they didn't have to pay their way with labor. My kids get very few hunting days, I get none. I hope it would change some day. Like someone else said muzzleloaders, archery guys don't give me problems.

I also need to add as a public lands rancher I also tell my local area ranchers we also need to respect public lands. When putting in a gate, try to use a swinging gate as apposed to a wire gate. Make it easy for public to respect us, if needed a cattle guard needs to go in.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)