AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Those that field cultivate ahead of corn...question-
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Greywolf
Posted 11/19/2006 10:44 (#63313 - in reply to #63309)
Subject: Re: Those that field cultivate ahead of corn...question-

Aberdeen MS
Experience I've had "here".

Crusting after a FC pass in many instances AIDED my planting. Helped reduce wind erosion. If it was a bit too damp for good soil conditions (but due to calender and forecast) one had to plant, the crust helped keep the openers clean and operate smoothly.

If the ground was fit underneath.... the gauge wheels/openers/closers eliminated the crusting problems with emergence anyway.

The 2 week time frame isn't a whole different than it is here... many times only 10 days or so. It seems the window is wider for corn than for soys up here lately (last several years). One gets a good week or so right after thaw that the ground is fit, you get the corn in, then the rains just keep coming and coming (anyone know how to get the Pink bunny to hook up to the rain clouds to keep going and going??? LOL).

My new time frame will be strip the corn stalks first in spring, then strip w/ fert application for corn. Plant corn and then swing into beans. Will give the strips in corn stubble to be fit after the rains start. If they don't, beans will get planted earlier. My wheat stubble is stripped for the beans already next year (hoping slugs won't be a problem and the 3 years off of corn will help cut down the RW pressure without going th e "stack" route).

Time will tell tho.

edited to add: sometimes tho, the FC pass in the fall is an insurance policy for a wet spring. The sun radiation does a whole lot better on dark soil than it does with lighter colored bean trash and eliminates that insulated mat.

Edited by Greywolf 11/19/2006 10:48
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)