AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

corn fundamental review
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Citi Farms
Posted 10/26/2017 10:41 (#6328433)
Subject: corn fundamental review

What should producers be watching for a potential rise in corn and/or wheat prices from a fundamental only standpoint?

South American weather is a key for the next 120 days or so.

Why? This is a key period in South American production and there are signs of a LaNina developing which could be very price positive - IF - it occurs. NOTE: in mid September the U.S. Climate Prediction Center put the chances of a LaNina arriving sometime in the November to January timeframe at 55-65% with the next update due on 11-9.

If you look at just ending stocks in my key exporting nations (without the Chinese stocks of 3.118 billion Corn (39.4% of world ending 17/18 corn stocks) and 4.675 billion of Chinese Wheat stocks (47.5%) of ending 17/18 world stocks), you find that a drop of 22.9% on the Brazil/Argentina corn production to a level still 380 million bushel above their 2015 production level (a lower production year) would bring combined corn and wheat ending exportable stocks to a level roughly equal to 2013 when the average U.S. price of cash corn was $4.46 vs. the current projected $3.20 level for 17/18. This review includes the extra world wheat stocks on hand as some of this would go to offset a lower world corn supply.

A 14% drop in South America corn production fundamentally moves exportable nation stocks down to an area where the average U.S. cash corn price could be $.50 higher than the current $3.20 forecasted average price for corn.

Due to this, some who sell corn now may want to look at buying a MAR 2018 $3.70 corn call for a cost of around ($.10) to replace the sold bushels.

EDITED to add the key exporting nations I used on Corn were the USA, Brazil, Argentina, the EU and the Ukraine and on Wheat I used the USA, the EU, Russia, Canada, Ukraine, and Australia.

Edited by Citi Farms 10/26/2017 11:10
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)