AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The beat goes on...or should I say turnip?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 10/25/2017 11:15 (#6326714 - in reply to #6326661)
Subject: RE: The beat goes on...or should I say turnip?

Driftless SW Wisconsin

NCGranville - 10/25/2017 10:33 Looks great Jim! Can you tell me a little about your planting? When was this sowed? How much seed/acre? Do you fertilized your forage crops? It looks amazing...I can't get turnips, radish, or any brassicas to grow very well here in NC...its probably just me! Thanks

This strip was grass rotationally grazed down low around Aug 1. I spread P, K & S to a soil test + 50 lb/a of N then no till drilled 2 bu of winter rye (in the drill's large seed box) and too much radish and turnip seed (in the drill's small seed box) on Aug 10th or 11th. I planted each as if they were the only crop but next year will plant turnips and radishes at half that recommended rate. I don't recall the exact rates but can be looked up.

We were very dry through Aug and much of Sept so it started slow and I thought wouldn't amount to much. But have had a lot of rain since the end of Sept and the mix took off, esp in the cooler temperatures lately.  I planted the radishes to break up compaction but the cows seem to like them as well as the turnips. Even calves have developed a taste for the bulbs.

I have seen some posts on crop talk of folks planting a radish cover mix in NC then Pluribus strip tilling corn into it in the spring.

Edited by Jim 10/25/2017 12:56
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)