AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bulk seed corn and insecticide exposure (repost from machinery talk)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Tom Russell
Posted 11/19/2006 05:48 (#63259 - in reply to #63009)
Subject: Re: Bulk seed corn and insecticide exposure (repost from machinery talk)

McLeod County Minnesota
I can respond to these questions:

“For those of you using a seed tender with an auger going into planter boxes, do you have a problem with the dust?

I guess my main question is, how do you guys deal with insecticide exposure with bulk seed corn?”

My bulk seed corn comes in large plastic boxes that NK calls Q-Bits. My planter is a Cyclo so I have only 2 points for dumping seed into the planter. Then I lift Q-Bits with a forklift, stand upwind of the seed hopper, pull the slide, and let Mother Nature do the rest while I sip a soft drink or eat a sandwich. That is how lazy farmers like I am do it. I could wear a suit, tie, and white shirt because I don’t get dusty or dirty and I don’t have to lug a heavy tube from little box to little box.

For beans, I use a tender with an auger but again, I have only 2 dump points so I can choose where I stand when it comes time to throttle down flow rate.

The Good Lord gave us 2 lungs that are irreplaceable and not repairable. A wise man will plan the work so it doesn’t damage these priceless assets.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)