AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Harvest Speed
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Q500
Posted 10/12/2017 00:16 (#6302775 - in reply to #6301859)
Subject: RE: Harvest Speed

western colorado

I got no guesses so I'll pitch it out there.  Last year or the year before there was a nationwide DOT weight limit bill in congress to bump up the interstate weight limit to 97k.  Guess who the pecker heads were that lobbied against it?........ The almighty railroad, and they won!  The more I learn about the railroad the less I like them.  I really like it when a piece of property with rail siding gets sold and they move in swiftly and remove the switch.  Replacement cost to to put the switch back in $100k, not only that if its dead end siding they will not put the switch back in.  It has to be merge in merge out in this area.  The price varies for that but its a minimum of $250k.  There is a awesome piece of property close to here with siding that goes into a building big enough to hold 4 rail cars huge building like 150K square feet.  Siding is sunk in the ground deep enough that a flat car is level with the floor.  It had lots of potential and of course the switch was taken out.  the building had sit vacant for 10 years and the crack heads got into it and stripped the copper.  We looked at it strictly for the rail siding and it was bargain priced....pennies on the dollar.  we quickly found out that there was no way that siding was usable without investing $750k or more.  Took a couple days to figure out that it was a no go.   A "coffee salvage" business ended up buying the place thinking they could put a switch in and use the the siding....ooops yeah they went broke.  After dumping a couple million in the place.  The pisser is this area is a island of agriculture and could really use some sort of grain elevator.  That could load out grain on a train.  This property could of served that purpose.  Foster farms is the only game in town and they aren't taking any corn until next may.  They aren't even bidding on it until may.  Tough deal, glad Im and end user and not a producer.  

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)