AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Garvo on your sick calves
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

garvo
Posted 10/10/2017 12:37 (#6299440 - in reply to #6299171)
Subject: RE: Green tagged but no certificate? -- I would really like you to take a look at my calves sometim

western iowa,by Denison
the cattle were not misrepresented at the sale-they had no paper work-which means usually they had shots but probably not weaned-very rare for a guy to give them shots and haul straight to the sale barn-I try to 100% avoid any cattle that had shots from 1-14 days before the sale-they would not go to the trouble to put green tags in there ear if no shots-a lot of times I buy unweaned calf's with the green tag and 99% of the time the certificate does not come along because they are not weaned-I have been doing business with a couple barns for years-I know they did not mis represent them-I also buy calves that have had shots with out tags-usually the auctioneers know I want cattle with some shots and not natural untouched cattle-the vet knew the owner was hauling them to the barn-which is his right-they would not give him the paperwork or sign green tag papers unless they where takin home for 30 days and weaned-his bulls that were cut never had a problem and he did not lose any at home-the penicillin was the one thing that stopped the problem as they grew cultures and tried many things-we had takin 2 live ones down that they posted at Ames.

I buy a lot of calves at 3-5 sale barns-I do not have the ability to buy ranch cattle to make my program work-all the problems could have been avoided by 2 parties-one that vet clinic-2 the cowman-that really doesn't care about the calf buyer.
The one thing nice about green tag is you can trace those calves back to the owner and practicing vet-we had a couple of bulls that were green tagged-and traced them back to the vet that did the work-I was reimbursed for those from that vet practice and he also called and apologized as he had missed it when working them. Stuff happens-I understand that-It's not about the money-it's about doing the right thing. Knowingly given shots and green tag them is gross misrepresentation and damage's the green tag program-with the vet knowing that day it was also wrong-my wrong was assuming that people are not trying to intentionally screw you- I proved what happen to the cattle-and neither party is willing to make it right-I guess the only good thing is knowingit was nt something I did on my end.-As far as suggestions of where to buy cattle I appreciate that-I understand my risk-just thought I would show how you can have 50% death loss with no chance to even save them-and then have knowledge what happens with no recourse . I will be at the salebarn in Creston Baby Robin-I think I might have bid on your cattle before
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)