AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Garvo on your sick calves
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Baby Robin
Posted 10/10/2017 10:00 (#6299171 - in reply to #6298844)
Subject: Green tagged but no certificate? -- I would really like you to take a look at my calves sometime..

Fontanelle, IA
Gary -

I'm confused. Those 14 hd had green tags and were accompanied by a green tag certificate? And shots were given 1 day prior to sale? Vet has to sign the paperwork - that everything is legit and their DVM license is on the line. Vet just has to look up when the farmer brought the calves in/vet went out to the farm vaccinate the calves - pretty simple.... Better yet the form should just have the dates of the vaccinations (maybe suggest that to the ICA).

It's the paperwork that makes them green tagged + the green tag in their ear. A green tag just means they got shots.... not when. Based upon our vet's advice, he is VERY concerned that calves are re-vaccinated/ boostered while under stress and before the 14 to 21 day interval between shots has expired. Vaccines / vaccine adjuvants interacting in negative ways against a calf's immune system - hyper sensitivity.

Our family's calves ARE not green or gold tagged as we do all the shots ourselves. We DO consult with our vet and use the GOLD tag program as a baseline... Yes, I am biased but I feel that our protocol is far superior to a GOLD tag program but that is because we are concerned with controlling early pneumonias in 1-2 month old calves out on pasture during erratic spring temp and rain events.

At sale day (usually 1st of December @ Creston Livestock in Creston, IA), sale barn auctioneer reads off health program and dates of shots, booster shots. There are copies for the buyers too. Our names and phone #'s are at the bottom - our integrity is there on the bottom. We really would like feedback on the calves but we never get any? I have my treatment records for each calf of mine that I would be happy to share with any buyer. If you want to sell privately, it seems we get $20/cwt below market bids + shrink - talk about a slap in the face.

It's frustrating for me to read about train wrecks because we manage for health of the calf BEFORE it is ever born! Yet, when it comes right down to it... it seems that buyers just want a calf with that "right off the cow shine" that they can vaccinate with whatever vaccines they like. I can't say that we get that $2-5/cwt premium for preconditioning or "doing it right" or whatever Drover's calls it. I am told that preconditioned cattle shrink less so maybe that is where all the "premium" margin is.

Gary, if I have offended you in anyway with this post, then I am sorry. My frustration is with our industry - not any one person individually. I love seeing / reading your posts about everything that you and Adam have built and how you do it. I would hope that someday maybe a calf of mine might make it up to your lot.

Bart

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)