AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

soils question?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

tomnwoh
Posted 11/18/2006 07:19 (#62988)
Subject: soils question?

curtice,ohio
the situation with our saturated soils this fall have left me with some unanswered questions. i am from nw ohio,fine textured ,naturally poorly drained soil. over the years i have buried many miles of plastic tile. what i am observing is that any tillage done this fall has really improved the ability of soil to absorb rainfall. i do very little tillage and am confused on whats going on. i have one field the is tiled every 40 ft, while the one next to it may not have any working tile. we deep ripped the field with with no tile and the other was beans notilled to wheat. the ripped field appears to be drying out much quicker. i talked with some other farmers last nite and the are scratching their heads also. with the abnormal amount of rainfall, has mother nature compacted our soil?will freezing and thawing repair this or are we at a point where it may take some sort of ripping to start absorbtion rate back to where they were? my earthworm population appears to be healthy i have pulled soil tests and i have not felt any real compaction issues what do you gentlemen think?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)