AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is this the new normal for yields?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

WeaveFarmer
Posted 10/5/2017 12:58 (#6289242 - in reply to #6288660)
Subject: RE: Personally I think

Boone Co. Iowa
In my region of Iowa, the most of the soils can hold a lot of moisture. It was dry early, roots had to work a little, got some sprinkles in June and July, then rain turned off. Crops looked poor. Corn was pale and beans were short. But August was cooler than usual. Plants held out and kept making grain/pods. Our tiles were dry, creeks are dry, pastures are all short and lots of haying for cattle going on, but crops are "better than expected." I'd give a small 1-2 percent bump to weather, tile/irrigation, fungicide (we did no fungicide), hybrids, and whatever else you can name.

I guess our area suffered a "minor" drought, but crops weathered it well because it was cooler when it could have been hotter.

I am tending to think it is the new normal. But, this is the time of year to be down in the mouth, as crop prices have continued to decline. For several years in a row, we are having low harvest prices. Which, WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT IT, is also pretty normal.

I am more interested to see $$$ flow back into commodities. Stock market is pretty dang high - time to turn the tables. Dow was 7000 when Obama won election about 9 years ago. Flirting with 23,000 today.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)