AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

EV is fast approaching.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Pat H
Posted 9/11/2017 10:47 (#6241157 - in reply to #6240026)
Subject: RE: Can't legislate actual progress....

The big problem is folks think laws can be passed and we will suddenly become buck rogers. In the real world that doesn't work at all. At best it further divides the have and have nots (at worst the have nots get eliminated). Many such initiatives have little to do with fixing some environmental or social issue and more to do with central control (these guys are always worried about losing power).

On the other hand, we have a lot of regulations in place to limit competition. Many of these are disguised as "safety rules" when in reality they are rules that favor folks with the scale to have departments of people doing all the paperwork. Even in hogs there are moves to make it so to grow hogs you need a epa department filing forms daily. Oddly some companies have these - more than a coincidence? I'm sure there is a percentage of validity to many of these regs, but I don't think they really increase safety as much as they limit who gets to play. I'm not sure this is the reason EV's and similar projects don't go far, but it would certainly curtail outside investment.

And yet on another hand, energy is energy and there is no free lunch. Battery tech is not sufficient for EV's to replace IC cars or even to make windmills practical (but we got them anyway). It's not like an EV is a terrible idea since it should be potentially less complex drive system that should last a really long time? Folks are staying up late working on battery tech, but we just are not there yet and passing a law doesn't get us "there".
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)