AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I'll bite on this frost thing. Here's my question?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Whats Up
Posted 8/28/2017 08:41 (#6214585 - in reply to #6214020)
Subject: RE: I'll bite on this frost thing. Here's my question?

I haven't been watching the extended forecast so really don't know what they are calling for but 3 years ago the Dakotas got a touch of frost in the low areas that really surprised me how much it hurt without really getting that cold. I remember most people had 35-40 on there thermometers that morning and everybody thought no damage. A few days after you could see low spots in the field where the top of the corn plants leaves and stalks turned white but about 6-12 inches above the cobs where green as grass. I believe most corn was at or around dent stage and all of the local agronomist said nothing to worry about the plant below the cobs are fine and will continue to fill and mature (also we were not as dry as we are now and not much stress on the crop all summer that year) As for the beans I remember the same thing where the top leaves were frosted but the rest of the plant was fine. When we combined, the corn in those spots would drop off by 30 bushel on yield monitor (Normal years with our soil types and environment low areas are 30+ bushels better than hills) and the beans went from 50+ on hills to 30+ in low spots. We still had an averaged crop that year but I remember thinking if it would have been 2-3 degrees cooler we would have had a real big loss.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)