AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What are you going to do different next year?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

hinfarm
Posted 8/26/2017 18:09 (#6211709 - in reply to #6211315)
Subject: RE: What are you going to do different next year?

Amherst WI
wesslmnn - 8/26/2017 12:18

I like that your handle matches your motto. However, I really don't think we are in a situation that you can literally grow your way to short or long term profitability? I could be wrong and a major reversal would likely cause me to turn tail but I just don't see that coming.

It's a lot harder to save your way to prosperity.

Lets go back to early spring of 2015. Many where being told to cut fertilizer (even though it hadn't been that low for 8+ years), buy cheap seed, and whatever else. What happens? Best growing season in 20 years. I had farms go 40-50 bushel over their APH's.

Now this year, fertilizer is even cheaper. Same thing, guys saying they are going to cut back blah, blah, blah.

I've ran the numbers myself, it doesn't pay to plant the bottom of the price card. I even put some side by sides in to see what the old genetics look like compared to the new properly placed stuff. ( I already plant conventional corn where I don't have weed or bug issues)

Also it shouldn't take lean times to learn how to cut the fat, if your not doing that to begin with your not operating like you should to begin with.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)