AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ole Chippy may have a moral dilemma
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Baby Robin
Posted 8/23/2017 22:59 (#6206767 - in reply to #6206322)
Subject: don't think it is moral dilemma - rather a weather dilemma

Fontanelle, IA
My $.02 means nothing so I will say it and expect to be trashed on it....

USDA and Chip's Profarmer Tour have to assume "normal" growing conditions to finish this crop out from here forward. There is no other way or else you / they have too many variables interacting with each other. Each day's weather deviation from "normal" could give you hundreds or maybe thousands of scenarios of ultimate yield. Chip has been pretty adamant and has said to tell them the weather and they can get closer to actual yield. Everyone is licking their finger and sticking it into the wind as to weather from here on out. All the weather gurus on the show say that 2017 has been a crap shoot for long range and there are very, very few analogous years so thus hard to predict how this crop will actually finish... I'm pretty certain that ProFarmer remembers 2008 or 2009 when late, late rains and cool temps made those crops bigger after the tour showed less than stellar yields. Lots of time left between August and combines roll. .Does frost kill off the MN, WI, and OH crop? No clue? How much did the rain that I got on Sunday and Monday add to the corn yield? Not a clue here? Has all my rain and now humidity started the explosion of NCLB and GLS and anthracnose that is now showing up in our drought starved crop and carving off the top end yield that the rain added? I don't know..... I have had backyard-itis all summer and been feeding hay to my cows similar to 2013....

My 158 corn crop looks pretty stupid to some right now.... So be it. I'll go crawl back in my hole now......
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)