AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

More on "sobering"
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

farmer in ontario
Posted 8/23/2017 21:26 (#6206562 - in reply to #6206162)
Subject: RE: Good Luck

Ontario

Let me give you a little advice my father gave me which over the years has served me well:

The market will give you a couple opportunities to sell grain for a profit every year.  Now if you miss one opportunity, prepare and get ready for the next one.  It is coming. 

Look at the usda crop conditions on corn this year compared to last.  They are vastly different.  Yet usda continues to cling to yields that do not match their own stated conditions.  Private firms and farmers are also telling you its vastly different.

You can down play all you want calling it commodities, and say it is easy.  Which I will say to you is utter nonsense. Everyone on our farm has more than enough to do 365 days a year.  (I told the guys in the shop today who are rebuilding and safetying 2 trailers for fall, that according to a post on agtalk farming is easy!  They invite you to step into their shoes!)   The same preparation takes place on the grain elevator, combines, tractors, planters, precision ag, year round.  Anyone who thinks farming is the video on youtube with the farmer in the tractor cab planting or harvesting is only seeing the tip of the iceberg.

Today it is food and energy.  Eventually buyers have to come to the table.  I do not sell into periods like this.  I make plans.  I will hold until the market provides me a return on my hard work and investment; and I use the tools I have at my disposal to do it.  Rarely has it failed.

So you can take a defeatist attitude that nothing can be done, farming is easy, market for a loss if you choose.  I will have none of it.

Edited by farmer in ontario 8/23/2017 21:43
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)