AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Silage Appraisals
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

4G Farms
Posted 8/21/2017 22:02 (#6202268)
Subject: Silage Appraisals

WC IL
Today I started doing silage appraisals for work. Did 3 different ones this morning before the rain started and shut me down.
First one was southern Greene county and was on a mix of clay and Kehoeme dirt ( white dirt ) and averaged 98 b/a.
Second one was in north west Jersey county and was on light dirt and averaged 152 b/a. This one suprised me because the ears looked good and was very little tip back. I would say the avg population on it was 29,000. To just look at it I was thinking it would be 180+. They did catch a couple rains that we didn't at home in Greene county this summer.
The third one was in western Greene county and averaged 127 b/a. It was river bottom ground but was not irrigated. Some spots had great potential but the sand veins in the field just killed it .
I would say that all three of these farms were at least off of last years avg by 40 to 50 b/a. Sorry I didn't take any pics as I was hurrying to beat the rain and eclipse !!
We did end up with 2/10s this afternoon and we just had another 8/10s this evening. That will help the beans that were showing stress around here but not sure it will do any of the corn around here any good except maybe my June 2 replant corn may get a little help from it.
Most of my co-workers are from the Springfield IL area all the way to the southern tip of IL. For the most part I've heard anywhere from 50b/a silage to 189 as the highest .
Not trying to kill the crop or say it's great , just letting you all know what I'm seeing so far as I do my yearly appraisals.
I will try to keep updating as I do more. Thanks guys
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)