AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

plasma cutter.......miller, hypertherm or thermal dynamics????
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

hf213
Posted 8/7/2017 06:14 (#6171923 - in reply to #6171409)
Subject: RE: plasma cutter.......miller, hypertherm or thermal dynamics????

I have Miller 875, really like it, consumables are readily available and reasonable. I like how portable it is. I have cut over 1" with it, slow, but steady, and the cut was smooth, like really smooth and nice. I do a fair amount of aluminum and stainless, and it will go thru that like a breeze.

On mine, the torch gun is about 1/2" from blow hole to outer edge, I use a piece of 1/2" keystock for a guide when doing straight cuts. Layout your marks, use keystock and bring straight edge to that and clamp, then cut. Amazing once you get the knack of it, it will not be far off from looking like it was sheared.

Hanson triangle squares work slick with a plasma too.

Also have templates made for cutting the common sized lights for trucks, so MUCH faster than a circle saw.

Like others said, air filtration is your friend, get a Motorgard filter. The desicant cartridge filter is good, but you can use a roll of toilet paper inside them too.

Whatever you buy, go with the longest torch available for that brand. If you plan on a automated plasma or torch table for the future, you might want to ask if the machine is compatible for it. Some require a different torch head.

IF you are going to use in an enclosed shop, make sure you have good ventilation, they will "kill" the looks of a nice clean shop within a year or 2, especially if cutting a lot of rusty steel. That smoke / dirt clings to the walls and ceiling like no other. Also not only for the shop but you should have or wear breathing mask, unbelieveable what is floating in the air when making the cut, especially aluminum. You can see where I had my priorities, LOL, but it is no joke, at minimum wear a dust mask.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)