AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Where to find a steel bridge beam load chart?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

KDD
Posted 6/15/2017 08:26 (#6072253 - in reply to #6071683)
Subject: RE: Where to find a steel bridge beam load chart?

Leesburg, Ohio
So, thanks for all the replies!

To answer a few points brought up:

No, a culvert is not what we need in this instance. It would need to be multiple huge culverts, and I think the expense of those and hiring the install would be prohibitive. Would probably require at least two parallel box culverts at least 12' square.

I don't absolutely require 90,000 pound capacity for loaded semis to cross, but it would be nice (but not absolutely necessary) if we could take a loaded grain cart across. 60,000 pounds of grain on a 36000 pound cart with 6-10,000 pounds of tongue weight on the tractor equals about 90,000 pounds on the cart axle. Our present cart is on tracks, so that make it less of a point load, but a wheeled cart would be close to that load, and either way, it is all on the bridge at once.

In all likelihood, we will use similar beams to what is there now. I did think about welding in some plates in the rusted-out sections of the webs, but really prefer replacement, and it would take a lot of clean-up of rust and scale to be effective.

The rusted out web ends has come from mud and cow manure sifting through the deck and accumulating on the top of the 2' thick concrete abutments where the beams rest. This is in a pasture, and the cattle drag mud and manure onto the bridge as they cross it several times a day. I have thought about pouring a concrete deck on top if we replace it, and never have to replace rotten planks again. Any suggestions for that?

I am talking to Martin's Farm supply in PA about the project. They apparently do these project all the time, and have a good supply of used beams, and the knowledge/experience to size it and weld the deck framing together, and deliver it. We will see what they have to say. I also have a good friend that is an engineer, so I may run it by him as well.

Again, thanks for the suggestions so far!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)