AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Versatile 150
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

DanR
Posted 6/13/2017 18:46 (#6069331 - in reply to #6060677)
Subject: RE: Versatile 150

SW Sask
If you are thinking of the 300, it had an innovative hydro-mechanical transmission (I don't know the details, but I believe that it was a predecessor to current IVT transmissions. The mechanical component gave it reasonably good efficiency on field work.

The 150 (and subsequent bi-directional tractors) are pure hydrostatic. As others have stated, hydro + articulated steering + 4wd makes them incredibly handy around the yard. They are capable of some field-type work, but you'll break the bank buying fuel, and its probably tough on the hydro.
The 150 and 160 were a bit awkward because everything happened on the same (cab) end, ie) drawbar, 3 pt, and loader were all there, so you couldn't use more than one at a time. Later (256, 276, and later) were available with drawbar and 3pt on the engine end as well (optional, I think).

We had a 160 for a while, and dad was really careful about always rotating the seat/controls on the same arc when he moved it (which was rare). It was possible to keep moving the controls in a full circle, which I'm sure would have been bad news for the wiring. As it was, we started having some wiring issues under the cab before 3000 hrs.

The other quirk - they are a miniature articulated 4wd tractor, which means everything gets squeezed into a smaller area. I remember that doing a routine service and greasing on the 160 was a much bigger job than a full-sized 4wd tractor.

danr
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)