AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How do you know...chart questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

jpartner
Posted 6/4/2017 14:29 (#6053776 - in reply to #6053197)
Subject: How do you know...chart questions

mikado - 6/4/2017 08:58 Jpartner, frytown and others. I know there is no 1 size fits all answer but do you have some things to give me thoughts on when do you stick with your read? I'm just trying to apply what I've learned over the last year and maybe it's my timing that is off...where and when to enter and exit. Ultimately my broader picture of a market is right. Take for example June live cattle. About a month ago I really thought should have some more upward momentum. Didn't do much until this last week and that was after a negative cattle on feed report. Now it's hitting targets that I had laid out a month ago. Would of taken deep pockets to ride that out. By the way, just practice not real account. Need to feel more comfortable before I dive in.

Hi Mikado,
For me its pretty simple - but it wasn't simple getting to where it is simple.  Once the plan is made, a stop is determined affordable, a realistic target that offers a decent reward to risk ratio exists, and the orders go in the market, I am done.  You don't need "deep pockets", because you either accepted the initial risk, or couldn't afford it, but it should never be larger than when the entry order went in.  After that, its pretty mechanical for me.  You no longer have a clear mind once you have a position, and you are never smarter once the trade is on. People tend to think you can learn more once the trade is on, and you can in some cases but it can only come from one place,  and that place is price.  I know this is gonna be a tough pill to swallow, trust me....i gagged on it for years and years, but once a pivot is created and price has turned, where price is going is already determined.  Done...finished...  Price has been projected out of the pivot on a frequency with a with a set amount of energy.  Your plan is either right, or wrong, but the outcome of it will not be affected by "news".   All the other drama after the pivot is absolutely and completely irrelevant... It is because of this understanding that we can make highly probable price projections month or years in the future with confidence.   So thinking you "know" more because of some tweet, weather forecast, or report later on is foolhardy.  But tomorrow, "we" will continue down the well treaded path for mindless nonsense. "We" will turn on the radio during the noon hour and listen to the garbage that whomever talking says, or log onto the internet site and read the latest "reasons for the move", or check our twitter feed.   And yet, this is all irrelevant useless information, sorry to say....."we" have been dooped.  Funny story, last week while spraying a thought jetted into my mind near the noon hour, "I should turn on the radio and hear what lies they are trying to sell us today".  I flipped on the radio and was greeted by a familiar voice...My Old Employer!   After he got done, I tormented him a little via text message.  Yeah...and he knows what I think... and it goes for my old employer thoughts as well! 

So, it will be tough I know. I have read some of your posts before, and I know you have a hard fundamentalist bent.   But you will be way ahead if you can shed it.  BTW, I had a position in one of your favorites for ...gosh, like forever.   Do you think I care about anything in relation to the cutouts, or the report, or slaughter numbers, or cash or whatever else is involved?  Do you think I check that position 10 times a day?  No.  I have a target, I have a stop, and the rest is irrelevant.  My broker will tell me if I get filled one way or another, otherwise, I will check it once a day to see if I can move a stop, otherwise who cares about anything else....It's all mind clutter...JMHO

Take Care

Edited by jpartner 6/4/2017 14:32
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)