AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

With reference to the "Do you agree...." thread below.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Dave Cen.Ia
Posted 5/24/2017 10:25 (#6035056 - in reply to #6034701)
Subject: RE: 1990's: Freedom to Farm, Decoupling

Nevada, Iowa
Nice review on the history, some ingredients had slipped my mind. I do seem to remember a "doubling" of payments (I think) under part of the Clinton administration. The Clinton years were actually a better period for the farm than the Regan years, at least "here". The subsidies had a small but positive effect on that for me. And coming out of the 80's, almost anything would have been an improvement.

I think chaos would be an understatement to a non-subsidy ag economy here in the U.S., short term. I'm not saying I oppose it but I wonder if those who so desire it, have thought about the entire ripple effect it would create. Most subsidies eventually end up in the hands of the landowner. How many of those do you know who want to take a substantial cut in their annual income? Even further, how many will be thrilled with the idea of a questionable percentage of their main asset slipping in value. A cold turkey cut in the subsidy system "could" make the eighties all over again. I, for one, do not wish to relive that period.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)