AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dogs and tractors/vehicles
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

denice.r
Posted 5/23/2017 16:39 (#6033395 - in reply to #6033150)
Subject: RE: Dogs and tractors/vehicles

south east Indiana
I use the least amount of correction that is effective for the offense as a rule. Most of the time a voice correction does the job. This is great since I always have that with me. When it gets to life and death offenses - chasing cars, trying to herd cars, bothering neighbors stock, chasing horses...then I use a tough hard correction that gets the message across
' do it and die' or at least think you will.

So while a bucket of water, squirt guns, pop cans with rocks in them tied together thrown at a window...might make then cautions if action is taken the very first time they take interest in moving object you do not want them chasing they are unlikely to correct it if it has become a habit.

Border Collies have Learned a behavior if they repeat it once or twice - you have to be vigilant and reward or correct things quick. They and Aussies are "stimulated" by things that move AND do not like being alone. It is BRED IN THEM. They are Supposed to want to control things that move, that is why they chase and run in front of everything from stock to kids to other dogs to vehicles. You are correcting something that bred into them so the correction needs to make an impression.

I taught my first bc to go sit on the porch and stay there when any vehicle started and when anyone pulled in the drive. He was to stay on the porch until the vehicle, tractor ect shut off the person got out AND the door was shut. Luke was a dog that could figure out how to get out of a room with 4 walls and only 1 window pane gone from a window 4 ft of the ground when he was 12 wks old. His nickname was Houdini. He would figure a way out or into wherever he wanted to be. So rather than count on him remaining in a fenced in yard or kennel I taught him how to stay safe when I was not there to watch him. Other dogs I have used a shock collar. My border collies now are either with me, in the fenced yard or put up in kennel or crates when I am gone or can not keep an eye on them.
The number of herding dogs killed in their yard, driveway is staggering
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)