AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Organic farm may be sprayed by county
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Orfarmer
Posted 5/20/2017 14:22 (#6027273 - in reply to #6027207)
Subject: RE: Organic farm may be sprayed by county

Roanoke, IN
You're not emotional, both sides are. 1 side is saying their seed crop will be "worthless", the organic farm isn't be a good steward, & involving state ag organizations with heavy conventional influence and the other side made the video with an appeal to their supporters and referencing "toxic chemicals" and using bible verses out of context.

The county has spray crews but they don't have mow crews or the ability to hire one? If they are dead set on spraying, spray vinegar, citris oil, or some other organic approved substance. The county isn't out a dime. The organic treatment options are more $, but the cost will be passed on to the tax bill. Control the weeds in a way that complies with the owners land use.

Agree the organic farm isn't above the law, but my guess is the law doesn't state they have to use Milestone or other synthetic chemicals, just keep the weeds under control. The county has options, but they just want to bully somebody that's different as a show of power.

I am also not a fan of individuals or organizations using private land in such a way that it causes undue economic harm to people around them. How do you decide where to draw the line on such issues?

Agree on that but it is a tough call as you say. I figure my neighbors and I are even if they drift gmo pollen on me and I drift some weed seed on them, lol. But really, around here, I don't see the same weed issues in organic and conventional fields. I struggle with foxtail & giant ragweed, and the conventional guys struggle with marestail and starting to see some pigweeds. None of these are noxious.

Edited by Orfarmer 5/20/2017 14:34
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)