AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cornstalk Baling, 3 counties-5 days-1500+bales pics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

plowboy
Posted 11/6/2006 19:38 (#58642 - in reply to #58502)
Subject: RE: Feeding dead, dry plants

Brazilton KS

The corn stalks we have tested run about the same protein and net energy as typical prairie hay.  Typical prairie hay is really not near what it's made out to be. 

Chopping the stalks would take a lot more effort then baling them, unless you happen to be set up with high capacity silage equipment, which most beef farmers are not.  You will get the same value by chopping as by cutting the stalks and baling.  Just raking and baling produces better test numbers then cutting and baling, but less tonnage.   Not cutting the stalks also pretty well eliminates any concern about nitrates because most of the nitrates will be in the bottom of the stalk, which will tend to be left behind by the rake. 

Cattle tend to be a bit wasteful with the stalks unless you take measures to prevent it.  They waste more if it is cut and baled then if you just rake the leaves and husks.  Tub grinding or limiting availiblity or sweetening with something all will help. 

We cut and bale if there is a good growth of fall panicum in the field.  The panicum is far more valuable then the corn stalks as feed.   If no grass, then I would probably just rake and bale.   You lose tonnage but that just means you are leaving more on the soil, which is not all a bad thing, especially since the part you are leaving is not going to be used too well by the cattle anyway. Tonnage per acre is not very important to us because we have lots more acres of corn stalks then we have any intention of feeding. 

Beef cattle rations are lots lower in net energy and fat then dairy rations.  I know little about dairy, but I know that you feed a lot hotter rations then any beef cow will ever be able to use.   I think it probably has something to do with the ten gallons or so of milk you are taking off of yours. 

Tommy....there are supposedly a lot of stalks being shipped from this area to Texas, along with anything else which remotely resembles hay.   

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)