AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question About Irrigation Along the Rio Grande
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

deeiche
Posted 2/26/2017 10:12 (#5864125 - in reply to #5854612)
Subject: RE: Question About Irrigation Along the Rio Grande

I live just south of Albuquerque, get irrigation water from Middle Rio Grande Conservancy.  Also, have land outside Cuba, NM with access to irrigation water from Nacimiento Community Ditch Association (CDA).  Some of the CDAs date from the 1600's.

Ahh, the Rio Grande and how it is over allocated between states, Rio Grande Compact

In New Mexico rivers are effectively large irrigation ditches with diversion dams sending water into our irrigation systems.  The irrigation ditches are further away from the River, with drains closer to the river, both terminate back into the river above the next diversion dam.  When we were in severe drought several years ago a lot of ground water pumping was done south of Caballo to irrigate the chile fields.  Also, Pecos river basin saw a lot of ground water pumping too.

Like everywhere else people demands increase.  New Mexico population grew 100% in the last 40 years.  Albuquerque now consumes water from the other side of the Continental Divide.  A lot of water rights were purchased in the state to support fracking.  It also did not help a lot of water gets consumed by Russian Olive and Salt Cedar which are everywhere along our rivers and streams.

I wanted to return my land in Cuba to farmland, but have decided it would be better to graze cattle on it instead.  I just seeded forage kochia on a 1 acre test to see how it would do at 7500'.  A lot of the land in the area was not farmed well, now there is a lot of rabbit brush and russian thistle.  So I have some work to do.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)