AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tub Grinders
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

School Of Hard Knock
Posted 2/18/2017 10:34 (#5847780 - in reply to #5846623)
Subject: RE: Tub Grinders

just a tish NE of central ND
Yes they can be hard on pto's. My take on tub grinders is a little like this..... I have one for personal use.I dont grind very much with it but am glad I have it. I perfer to use a tractor with a wet clutch system. A dry clutch will overheat in jerkey conditions.I feed it dry hay, and I will peal outsides off of a bale if it looks to be wet. You cant put wet scnit in a grinder and expect dry candycanes to come outthe other end. I threw away the old h1000 haybuster electric governer that didnt work when I bought it and the new replacement was a much more sensitive governor.Even then if a clod drops in the cylinder it will jerk like heck on the pto. The old govener destroyed a guys pto. on a deere 4x4. The guy isnt very mechanical so he didnt figure out why his pto got torn out but the original goveners wouldnt stop the tub at all when the rpms dropped. I am a bit fussy about what I put through that machine. You have to use your head. The previous owner would gather up all the hay butts ouf of every bale feeder in the middle of winter and grind it up all at one time and re fead it.A lot of it is long wire-y stalks of slough grass and wet leftovers and the dirt from scooping it up and moisutre left that the cows wouldnt eat. In my opinion, manure stuff that should be used for bedding at best. Then drop that into a grinder that the hammers were round as a banna and the screens were worn oblong and blunt........ there went the pto clutch.
I guess Im different, if I dont hear a little belt squeel once in a while when sharp hard slugs go through I feel the belts are too tight.I feel that the slippage once in a while helps take some of the pounding and abuse off of the clutch in the tractor.Now, if you have a 300 hp tractor on a 200 horsepower machine, that can be hard to determins how much slippage should be allowed. Even a 200 horsepower tractor on a h 1000 will smoke the belts long and steady on normal grinding of you run it through as fast as the combination of grinder and horsepower will allow you to.
Dry afalfa will go through like butter. Reed canary grass that was baled tuff..... yes you could easily wreck something with it as it normally grinds very hard.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)