AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tub Grinders
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

dieselfume1
Posted 2/17/2017 23:52 (#5847185 - in reply to #5847145)
Subject: RE: Tub Grinders

SE MT
Offroadnt - 2/17/2017 22:55

We have Roto Grind 1090 here that we run with a 2390 I'd argue it's no harder on the tractor then a big square baler chugging away at 26 to 35 strokes a minute. It'll bring the tractor down but there is enough inertia in the rotor it doesn't really shock load the tractor. They also way easier starting then a baler.

The rotogrind brand alone I think is much better on the tractors than most others.... the rotogrind 760 we had was plenty for our 4630, but we ground alot of grass, and grass alfalfa mix.

Usually I could get 15 bales per hr in grass hay, 18-22/hr with grass alfalfa mix. Tractor used 11 gal/hr, so it was costing me around $1.40 per bale in fuel, or around $27.50 /hr to operate.... Granted, it took me 2-3 hours to do what the custom job got done in 1. but their costs were up around $300 per hour when we quit using them. which is about $6 per bale.

If you like throwing $5 bills out the window, keep using the custom job! Plus with the Rotogrind, you can grind when you want, when it's not windy, or don't have to have a bunch of hay piled up before a storm... keeps you hay more fresh when you don't grind a big pile all at once.

We were spending over $10,000 per year on custom grinding before we switched. We paid for the grinder and the tractor in the 3 years time we owned it. It's a no brainer.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)