AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tub Grinders
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

dieselfume1
Posted 2/17/2017 20:23 (#5846841 - in reply to #5846623)
Subject: RE: Tub Grinders

SE MT
EWcountyksfarmer - 2/17/2017 18:51

Do tub grinders tear tractors up? 20 years ago my uncle would grind for my dad and dad always said that he would'nt own a tub grinder because they are too hard on a tractor, so he had it hired done for several years and the last 5 years he hasn't ground. At some point I might buy a tub grinder to go behind a tractor. What is a good tractor to go behind one?

If you're like me, you want a low maintenance tub grinder, that's why I bought the RotoGrind 760. very few moving parts, has a good electronic governor on it. More forgiving on tractor PTO's then other grinders out there. Not long after we bought ours, I bought a 4630 powershift for 14K with an old 158 loader. That tractor had somewhere between 12,000 and 14,000 hours on it when I bought it, and it ran that grinder hard for I believe around 3 years with no breakdowns. Ground about 1000 bales per year with it.

Total investment with the tractor and grinder I was into it around $32K

Sold the RotoGrind and the Rotomix feed truck setup in 2013 for a Highline bale pro 650 with MGIS (grain tank) to replace them. Very happy with the end result.

But if you're grinding for TMR, you'll be best served by that Rotogrind than any others in my opinion.

The 4630 is going to be the cheapest HP per dollar out there. If you're only going to use it for PTO use, then I'd suggest looking for a Quad Range or Syncroshift. Those PTO setups were a little stronger, and could be serviced with only splitting the tractor once instead of twice like on the 8 speed powershift.... Although I will say so far, the 8 speed powershift is much nicer to drive for doing chore work like loading hay, running a manure spreader and things like that. So plan accordingly.

Also keep in mind these tractors are 40 years old. Be cautious if you choose to buy because most of these tractors have all had brake failures by now, and I'd wan't to check the sump screen on any one I looked at. Getting tractors from folks that look like they take care of things, or have records of the work that's been done helps as well...

Don't be surprised if at some point you have to have it split and have some work done, but the parts are relatively cheap compared to newer stuff, and the startup cost is MUCH less. They're just a good old workhorse..

Here's the video of mine a few years back with the RotoGrinder 4630 combo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9njayO7pv0k&t=314s

If you want to chat more, E mail is good.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)