AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone Have a New GSI Top Dry w/Autoflow
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Luke Skywalker
Posted 2/4/2017 11:17 (#5816083 - in reply to #5813933)
Subject: RE: Anyone Have a New GSI Top Dry w/Autoflow

Arva, Ontario

We have a 30' Top Dry erected in '11 with AutoFlow right from the start. It was erected by a GSI franchise that has installed well over 120 TopDry's, and they know their stuff. They have done a few modifications to the chutes so they dump quickly without plugging (corn batch dumps in 4 seconds) but requires changes to the winch motor from 24V DC to a 120V AC system.

We couldn't be happier. Low capital cost upfront for a dryer that does ~1000/hr at 10 points, closer to 1500 at 5. You need good infrastructure feeding it or you'll be dumping so often you may have to turn your temperature down. Our fed by a 4K/hr inclined drag that barely keeps up when moistures drop to 19 or less.

We have to tweak our target dump temps a little mainly based on input moistures, but we keep good notes from previous years now and that has helped with the initial set point.

We routinely leave our system at 9-10pm at night, return at 5-6am in morning to an empty wet tank and a cooled bottom chamber. Empty chamber down to inverted cone, and start dryer once we have wet corn coming in. System not manned during day, truck driver (usually me) has a look at panel while doing moistures and filling out scale ticket.

In 6 years, we have replaced 2 flame sensors. One of them was likely because we got a little careless 'adjusting' it...   Never cleaned a screen in-season - the big whoosh as the grain moves with the big chutes seems to scrub them.

Here's the crux of the situation. If you have a dealer that really wants these things to work, they will. If you have a dealer that really wanted to sell a tower dryer, but grudgingly put up a TopDry, kick them in the stones and get them to make it work. For the initial outlay, the drying performance they give, the lack of electrical energy consumed (1000/hr@ 10 pts on 37.5 HP for ours vs a tower that will need 60+ HP) plus full heat reclamation and being able to move cool grain into long term storage, they are a great value.

Edit:  I re-read your post. I've got to wonder if you have voltage issues or something on your incoming power with the problems you've had. Are you on the end of a line or a source that is stretched for capacity. I'm fortunate - we're on 3PH and a line that has relatively low use, so power 'quality' is consistent. Problem is, we're in Ontario, so we can't afford it @ about US$17 cents/kWh...

Ken

Edited by Luke Skywalker 2/4/2017 11:26
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)