AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD 510 Disc ripper loosing points
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ChrisTN
Posted 11/4/2006 21:12 (#58085 - in reply to #57930)
Subject: Re: JD 510 Disc ripper loosing points

Ethridge, TN
We had a few problems with it, as this is one of the first units out. What has been very impressive about it, is that Krause has stood behind this tool to make any of those problems right, at their expense. They where just out early this fall and did a bunch of updates on it to bring the specs up to the current production model.

Here is what we have experienced in "our" conditions, and I do think that you have to set this tool by differing conditions.

1) We found the spider wheels in the front, that are suppose to lay the stalks out for the coulters to cut better, that your better off without them. We had more problems with them wanting to quite turning and then creating a pile. So we just took the attachment off, and really saw no difference in how it worked.

2) We've had a few ongoing problems with the disk unit, and they have changed the design, and updated ours to where it is working really well now. Some of those problems where in keeping the blade assembly tight, but with the latest update, this problem seems to be gone. They have also changed the spacings so that it "flows" soil thru it better.

3) We have just the "chisel" shanks, didn't opt for the ripper rank of shanks. I found that it pulls and works much better if you change the bolt position on the front of the shank from what it comes set from the factory. They put the front bolt in the lower hole, which "tilts" the nose of the point down some. There is an upper mounting hole, and by moving it up, it levels out the point. It works much better in this setting.

4) The rolling basket on the rear. Unless you have dry conditions or sandy soil, you are going to learn to hate it in a hurry. Once the soil gets damp in the fall of the year, it just becomes a rolling "mud" reel. I have since taken this off, and built a coil tine harrow attachment which uses the arms that used to hold the rolling basket. This has proven to be much better and gets us a touch more leveling.

Our goal is to try and have it level enough behind the Dominator, that we can just one pass this ground with the Great Plains Ultra-till in the spring, then plant it. With the addition of the harrow, I think we may have what we are trying to accomplish.

You are right, it requires lots of ponies to pull one of these. We have an 18' unit, demoed a 21', but couldn't pull it properly, and we have a JD9520 with triples hooked to the front of it. The tractor knows it's back there.

The way that Krause has stood behind this, yes, we would definitely have no qualms over buying another one.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)