AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soil Test Question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 11/3/2006 20:24 (#57813 - in reply to #57794)
Subject: From what little I know of low CEC soils.

Little River, TX
They tell me a crop will take up a good supply on the first cutting. Something about the winter releasing potassium, and or the slow growth in early spring allows for enough potash to be taken up.

Does Stephen F. Austin University do hay tissue and or hay testing? If they do pull some tissue samples, the top 6 inches of growth no longer than a week before cutting. Do it for each cutting. This will tell you more than all the university research or literature. If you do, I will give you the desired levels you want in bermudagrass.

Bermudagrass has two times of stress. One is winter and that is obvious even to a Ph. D. The other is our hot dry summers. Potash has a lot to do with moisture efficiency and drought stress. A good level of K in the plant will improve the efficiency of the nitrogen that is application.

A friend from Farm Bureau who farmed near Canton had a good response to the question of how he could afford so much fertilizer on bermudagrass. His response was he could not afford to use less. He also did a double rate of fertilizer on the outside of a field. He insisted that kept the sand burrs out of her hay.

The folks at Overton are a good source of information as are the people up at the Nobel Foundation.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)