AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Take me to school on antifreeze
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

durallymax
Posted 1/7/2017 20:46 (#5752194 - in reply to #5751784)
Subject: RE: Take me to school on antifreeze

Wi
Istumped - 1/7/2017 18:00

I urge you to find out from the manufacturer. Just because it's red does not mean it is ELC coolant.

Manufacturer won't tell you anything about what is in it now. "ELC is a very broad term, many coolant terms are used improperly as evidenced by the assumption that Dexcool is not an ELC earlier in this thread. That said, there is little defining the correct usage of the terms. The OEMs, coolant manufacturers and regulatory agencies have themselves to blame for the confusion over engine coolant. The fact there is this much discrepancy and confusion over what was once considered a simple cooling agent, should help illustrate why coolant maintenance is the most important part of heavy engine maintenance. The cooling and anti-freezing aspects mean very little, water and glycol(or glycerin)are all that is needed to accomplish that, it's the corrosion and cavitation inhibitors that are important.

It's also important to keep up with the times, what worked 5 years ago, may not work today. Read the manual for the EPA04 MBE, then the EPA07. Now read a new publication from Daimler. You'll find drastically different recommendations.

The best thing to do is replace the coolant with a proper coolant for that engine so that you know what is in there.

Color certainly does not matter, when you look at every coolant offered it becomes obvious. Not to mention the fact you can buy dyes to change the color of desired.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)