AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

best no-till drills?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Case9350
Posted 1/6/2017 20:07 (#5749792)
Subject: best no-till drills?

five years ago I bought a case air seeder hoe drill. My dad was and is still against no-till but I have gone no-till anyway, this drill has been working great in the no-till fields but I noticed this year with the build up of crop residue it is becoming more difficult to get through the fields without plugging. I did a 160 acres of stubble back wheat and had quite the time with plugging. With that being said I believe it is time to move forward to a disk drill that will go through the extra crop residue. The problem I have been noticing with the neighbors in the dry years such as this year, they cant get the seed in the ground far enough to get a good stand of wheat. I, on the other hand, have a great stand and the wheat looked excellent going into the winter. All because I was able to get the seed in the ground to the moisture. I hope that in the not so distant future that my no-till practice will get beyond the stage that the ground is as hard as the road and become mellow enough to use any disk drill but until then, I feel I am going to face the same problem that others in the area are facing with the hard ground and plow again if I cant find a better drill than their Deere's. it seems they are just not heavy enough to get the seed in the ground. Any suggestions as to a great air seeder for no-till that will push the seed in the ground when it gets dry? we only got an inch of rain all last summer so when it came time to plant the wheat, all our ground was very hard. If it weren't for the plugging I would just keep the drills I have because I know they will go in the ground and get through the crust. I would also like it to hook up to the air cart I already have sense it is all but new.

Thank you all for your suggestions in advance.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)