AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

new idea uni system ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jersey Jim
Posted 12/24/2016 07:36 (#5719986 - in reply to #5719882)
Subject: RE: new idea uni system ?

Minneapolis-Moline had the idea of the uni system with the first ones being sold in1954 or 1955. They had various attachments including a picker, sheller, combine, and a chopper at first. Later, a baler and swather were made. A company made a manure spreader for one with it being mounted backwards on the uni tractor. The implements were changed using a hoist to remove the implement from the tractor and then set on a cart to move the implement. Three bolts held the implement on the tractor and two pins were used to attach the lift arms. IIRC 2 people with experience could change implements in about an hour.

New Idea bought the Uni system from MM about 1965. Most of the same attachments were available and a corn head could be put on the combine to shell corn. They also started to produce stripper plate corn heads. A three point carrier attachment was made and some used it to plant crops with, put a snow blower on, or spray with. The implements had jacks that were used to support the implements to change them. Three bolts held the implements on the earlier models but am not sure about the later production. If everything worked smooth, 2 people could change implements under an hour. The tractors had more power and nicer cabs with changes made at different times. Many Uni systems with husking beds were used to harvest seed corn.

Both MM and New Idea Uni systems did a decent job of harvesting crops but I believe that the combines performed better than competitors makes at the time of production and the husking beds were not quite as good as the competition of the time.

Dad had 2 MM uni systems and I owned 2 New Idea Uni systems. When the New Idea ran, it had good capacity and did a real nice job. The reliability was another issue. A few people had really good luck and very little breakdowns. Most of the people had problems. I learned how to be a mechanic with mine. I am not proud of the fact that I used words that made Jesus sad. It was a good day when I traded the Uni system away.

Sorry for the length.

Have a Blessed Christmas! Jim

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)