AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

If your building a new house (warning long post)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

woodchuck
Posted 12/24/2016 05:29 (#5719829 - in reply to #5719387)
Subject: RE: If your building a new house (warning long post)

East central Iowa
Sorry for all of you having issues with new house building. I've built 3 houses for myself over the last 14 years. In 2012 I built my current house by myself, No help except my dog. Just hired the heat and a/c installed. I had the most fun and wife got the features she wanted. Started pouring footings in Aug. 2012 moved in Jan. 2013, all during harvest. I made CAD drawings to make sure my layout would work and wife approved it. I've done construction my whole life so I had an advantage. Building is like therapy for me so I really enjoyed it. My point is that handing a set of blue prints to a contractor and expecting them to create what you have invisioned is almost impossible. BUT that doesn't mean not following a blue print or doing crappy work is in anyway ok. Most contractors have no vested interest they just do it for the money. If they won the lottery you would never see them again.
I'm no genius or perfect, I'm just lucky GOD gave me the ability to build things and visualize the results when I start with a pile of lumber.
If building a house have a "tight" contract and ask lots of questions and inspect job everyday. Stop work if you don't like something you see. GOOD LUCK to all of you.
Dave
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)