AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

If your building a new house (warning long post)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

bpreuss
Posted 12/23/2016 12:15 (#5718436 - in reply to #5717513)
Subject: RE: If your building a new house (warning long post)

MN
Built a house and garage this summer and still working on finishing the inside as we speak, hope to move in in Feb.
Had a local contractor (friend) help with foundation, framing, concrete, etc. My family and I did a lot of work ourselves, and I hired out some of the plumbing, the hvac, and the taping/texture.
I agree with your post on many points, and looking back, I should have adjusted my timeline and added another year, and done the entire project myself.
I am/was my own general, and I was at the job site everyday, putting in more hours and getting more work done than any of the contractors. I was accused of "always looking over our shoulders" by the carpenters, and "always asking questions" so I backed off a bit, big mistake.
Had plans drawn up by the truss engineers and paid hundreds of dollars for them, yet there were still things that were not built to spec because "the numbers are so darned small".
Have had to redo so many things that I paid someone to do, it's not even funny.
Over budget and over the timeline.
It really has been a poor experience overall, and even though it is all coming together nicely now, I am bummed that it was such a headache all along. Definitely never building a new home in my lifetime again.

One thing stands clear, as I have heard over and over again through the years. If you want it done right, do it yourself.

If you need to vent or ask questions to compare experiences, shoot me an email.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)