AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

No-Till Question-What if I don't get Anhydrous Down
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

pbutler
Posted 11/1/2006 12:43 (#57116)
Subject: No-Till Question-What if I don't get Anhydrous Down

Macon, IL
I am a not-tiller and going 100% corn next year. I am enrolled in a pretty good watershed program with NRCS and get a pretty good payment for not working ground. The past couple years I have made strips in the fall with Anhydrous bar and let them settle over the winter and planted into those strips in the spring. I have been very happy with the results. I use the bar from local FS which has straight coulter in front and dual disc sealers on the back.

But this fall it is wet wet wet here, I still have a month but in our area it gets tough to find many days after thanksgiving to get Anhydrous down.

If it would continue to stay wet and I would not get they Anhydrous done I see 2 options.
1) AMS (ADM is close by and I can get it relatively cheap)
2) Put down anhydrous in the spring.

My concern with #1 (AMS) is that I have seen inconsisten amount of N-and the one year I did use it 3 years back I was not terribly happy with it.

My concern with #2 (Spring Anhydrous) is that when I have made those strips in the fall it is pretty mounded up-but by spring has settled down pretty nice. If I make those strips in the spring I would be concerned about trying to plant into those-and how much ahead of planting I have to put the Anhydrous on.

I only farm about 260 acres and don't really want to have to put liquid on my planter if I could avoid it as my old 7000 planter is pretty weighted down with all the no-till stuff already.

What would you do if you couldn't get it on in the fall? Any advice much appreciated.

Paul

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)