AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

U.S. Patents?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

DRester
Posted 12/18/2016 21:43 (#5708332 - in reply to #5708192)
Subject: RE: U.S. Patents?

Franklinton, LA
I know that products protected by a patent in the USA can be legally manufactured in Mexico. However, they cannot be legally imported into the USA. If a company imports products covered by your patent you will be responsible for paying an attorney plus the court cost to enforce your patent.

Also, at one time you could patent items in Canada that were common knowledge in the USA. I am not sure how the USA and Canada now handle patents. About 40 years back several farm implement manufacturers in the USA sold equipment in Canada with a simple hydraulic cylinder and linkage to fold the wings. Take a look at the wing folding linkage on the IH 490 disk. A Canadian gentleman had a Canadian patent on this linkage and sent letters to implement manufacturer demanding a $30.00 fee for each implement sold in Canada. The fee was big enough to put a bad taste in your mount but small enough that you could not afford a hire an attorney to prove his patent was a lot of hot air and blue smoke because he had patented common knowledge. Yes, I got burned by that one!

Edited by DRester 12/18/2016 22:28
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)