AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Educate Me On Liquid Nitrogen
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 10/31/2006 21:34 (#56860 - in reply to #56765)
Subject: RE: Educate Me On Liquid Nitrogen - do you really need that much??

Driftless SW Wisconsin

If I understand you correctly, 25 gal + 25 gal + 10 gal = 60 gal x about 11 lb/gal = 660 lbs liquid x .32 = 211 units of actual N per acre. Do you really need that much???

I don't know what your yield goals are but 0.7 lb of N per bushel, applied at the right time and beneath the soil surface can raise some very good corn. In some soils a portion of the rest will just end up in the atmosphere or your well

As long as you are buying a planter anyway, how about looking for one with fertilizer coulters and put down say 0.5 lb N per bu with the planter or strip till just ahead of the planter and maybe 0.2 lb N/bu expected yield as a foliar carrier with the sprayer?

A system of spreading your dry P & K in the fall, then use a simple 6 row 30 mounted strip till system in the spring ahead of the planter with 28 or 32% placed along one side of the strip and 4" deep with maybe some 10-34-0 in furrow on the planter followed by a small amount of N as a foliar carrier is another very efficient system. Even though you have a sprayer you will make much more efficient use of your N dollars and not need to carry so much liquid if you locate it relative to the plant by applying with the planter or in a strip and get it beneath the soil surface and covered.

If you want to make a big change in your system I'd suggest getting it located and buried. jmho.

Jim at Dawn

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)