AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Castrating Lambs Question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Seth_ia
Posted 12/6/2016 21:49 (#5681188 - in reply to #5680473)
Subject: RE: Castrating Lambs Question

Shearing should improve the value of the pelt at slaughter. The wool value is minimal. Whether you gain back your shearing cost is again a regional thing and depends on your markets.

Corid can be used for coccidiosis in sheep. I've done it with good results. A lot of older vets like it. However it has fallen out of favor over sulfa. Sulfa seems more effectively without the potential side effects.

As for the down lamb, the first question is it an injury or sickness. By this I mean is does he act strong but the limbs are too week to lift him up. These can be either injuries or muscle issues. For injuries Dex is about the best bet and hope the injuried nerve isnt too bad. Bose and thiamine are cures for polio and white muscle, but talk to your vet and rule them out as the cure for each can also easily overdose and kill them. If the lamb it's self is physically weak, then you have something to else to treat. There are of course two schools of thought. One is to start with the most likely cause and try each med individually to see what helps. How ever in my experience by the time you figure out what works the lamb is to far gone. I prefer to throw ten bucks in meds at it and know my bases are covered. Nuflor/draxxin combo is my chose plus banamine. This will catch about anything susceptible to antibiotics.

Edited by Seth_ia 12/6/2016 21:49
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)