AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gilt/Sow Pregnancy Check Devices
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

DougK
Posted 12/6/2016 12:33 (#5679962 - in reply to #5679919)
Subject: RE: Gilt/Sow Pregnancy Check Devices

SC MN
Two kinds of swine preg checkers, the cheap "beeper models" which beep when they sense fluid in the uterus, and a "real-time" unit with a video screen which shows a live ultrasound picture of the uterus. I've got a real-time ultrasound preg checker which I purchased about 20 years ago for $6000 dollars. A new one like mine made in the US is about $8000 now. There are Chinese made ones for about $2000 or so and then the "beeper" style are around $500. The "real-time" ones with a screen are the ones to get because the cheaper beep ones can be fooled by just a fluid buildup in the uterus caused by an infection, not a pregnancy. Also the real-time ones can preg check earlier. Sometimes I can check accurately as early as 23 days. There are several styles now of real-time units. Some have a corded probe and now some have a wireless probe. Best to try and demo a unit before buying. Be advised that these are somewhat delicate units, especially the probe, so some care needs to be taken when using them.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)