AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planter speed vs yield observation
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 12/4/2016 10:25 (#5674846 - in reply to #5674281)
Subject: RE: Planter speed vs yield observation other factors

Sure you can dump the seed irregularly if the soil is over fertilized with a pound of nitrogen per bushel yield. If the N is shorter the closed spaced stalks will starve more leading to more nubbin ears.

My last corn year I put down 111 pounds of N after beans and planted a Crows number rated good at use of limited nutrition at 34,000 with my JD7000 pulled at 4.2 mph. I had a picket fence stand. The planter did drop one extra seed every 17 feet and I ran out of the Crow's number, planted a bit of Ottlie that seemed by ear size from the combine cab to have tolerated the low nutrition. Finished with some DynaGro that demanded more nitrogen and it tipped back half the ear. Field average as weighed at the elevator 173.2 dried to 15%.

There will be pushes in the future to limit fertilizer applications to reduce nitrates in streams and rivers so we will have to get along with less nitrogen and then I think spacing will be more critical and probably 34K population will not work well, we will need nutrient efficient hybrids that will produce a record crop with 25K population and 100 pounds of N per acre. And probably will have to apply that N in strips using strip till to keep up the N efficiency for a decent crop.

Gerald J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)