AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any honest people out there?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Hayburner
Posted 1/12/2009 01:37 (#567197 - in reply to #566653)
Subject: Re: Any honest people out there?

I tried to buy a fishing boat that was for sale in a town about 10 miles away. The guy wasn't home, so I called the number, talked to the guy and said I would give him what he wanted. I would be over the next day with a cashiers check for the amount. Later than night, he called and asked if I would bring the check over immediately. I said I could not since I had to wait for the bank to open to get the check. The next day I called to let him know I was coming, and he said he already sold it. I should have known better since he was selling it for his BiL, who couldn't speak English. Maybe I was lucky and the boat was hot.

I also tried to buy some hay equipment last year. Called the guy, told him what I was interested in and agreed on a price. The guy complained about the heavy snow and said it would be a couple days before he had the snow cleaned out to get to the equipment. I said fine, I would be over then. Called the guy to tell him I was coming over, and he said he already sold it to some guy who came over and dug it out with his Bobcat. So much for your word meaning anything.

But then I have bought a couple things where the guys kept their word. I bought a 10' Woods mower for $500 where the guy said he had lots of other calls after mine, but kept his word and sold to me. I also sold a baler on Craigslist where I made clear I would sell to to first guy who responded. After getting about 7 responses, the first guy came over and picked it up for the agreed on price.

I've learned though if I want something, I go immediately to get it or arrange money down to hold it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)