AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Do you look @ $$/A in test plot results?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Bill Moyer
Posted 10/31/2006 08:51 (#56689 - in reply to #56669)
Subject: RE: Do you look @ $$/A in test plot results?

Coldwater, Michigan
Ron,

I have always struggled with that. The $$$$/A figure you see reported probably was a good idea at the beginning. Easily shows whether you could expect a profit or not. I have been dumb enough in my plots to report #2 corn (15.5%) at $2.00/ bushel for years, even when corn was $5.00. Figured it was a good long-term average. Several of you regularly beat that, so I figured it was a good "conservative" number. Once showed a guy my numbers and said in the partivular case "this one broke even". He was quick to point out that I had not considered LDP on the extra corn that was produced. There is always an angle!

While my numbers have been conservative, I often see corn price #'s used as $2.25/bushel, $2.85/bushel, and sometimes as much as $3.25/bushel. I'm here to tell you the higher that number is, the easier it is to show a small incremental gain in yield as showing a profit. My Small $2.00/bushel takes a signifigant yield gain to pay.

Wasn't necessarily a bad idea to use profit per acre calculations. Some just got carried away with the numbers.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)