AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soil Test results from different labs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Pat H
Posted 10/30/2006 08:59 (#56449 - in reply to #56099)
Subject: Re: Soil Test results from different labs

cropsey, il 61731
I agree and I think next season we'll try some tissue samples (depending on what the farm manager likes to do as well). I started this thread to get an idea if labs could be completely off from one another - as in one lab shows a quite high fertility level and the other shows very low - even though there are differences I don't think they would be at opposite ends of the scale. The other factor is that manure is organic and is breaking down all the time and I'm not sure how that effects soil test at various times during the year and how it make effect the crop (it's supposed to be good).

Right now it just looks like planting a rootworm corn with good stress tolerance, using calisto or roundup as a 2nd herbicide pass (instead of early dicamba), adding 50lbs of N sidedressed, and perhaps spraying insecticide even if doesn't appear to need it. The insecticide may have helped, but we scouted this field often and could not find many beetles at all. My landlord had not seen Japanese beetles in her area and thought they were eating the whole crop (they clipped some silks on the edges) - she was even more concerned with the way the trees in the yard. To keep peace and to see if it would help we sprayed. By the book it should have made no difference, but I'm not sure it didn't get us an extra 10-20 bpa.

Thanks,

Pat
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)